Example and Cost
A Service Visit by our Smoke Control Specialists need not be expensive. Here is an
example and cost of a job we did recently in central London.
The building is a seventeen storey office block in London, near to Aldgate Station. There are fifteen floor
levels above ground and two basement Levels. There is one Pressurized Fire
Fighting / Means of Escape Staircase serving all floor Levels that must be inspected and tested.
Due to the commercial nature of the building the client specified that the inspection and testing of the Pressurized Staircase System
be carried out "outside of normal hours" i.e. a Saturday.
Before our Visit
Thorough preparation and submission of Risk Assessment, Method Statement,
Insurance and all other necessary documentation. We did not ask for payment "up front".
Inspection and Test Visit
In the morning:
- Travel to London early on Saturday, arriving at the building for 9:00am.
- Receive a Site Induction as needed and complete all Health and Safety requirements.
- Starting at the top of the building and working down, find and thoroughly inspect all
components parts of the Staircase Pressurization System including the building fabric.
- Determine the "Class" of Pressurizing System as defined by BS EN12101:6.
- Test the Pressurization Fans using Local Switches. Test the alternative Electrical Supply.
Check that both Duty and Standby Pressurization Fans are operational and that the
Automatic Change Over System works correctly.
- Examine the excess pressure relief system. Examine and test the Air / Smoke Release path
In the afternoon:
- Operate the Pressurization Fans and leave them running, whilst
- Using special Instruments, Measure the Pressure developed in the Fire Escape Staircase and
Fire Fighting Lift with all doors Closed. Measure the through door Air Velocities and needed
Door Opening Forces at each Level of the Building.
- Verify that activation of the building Fire Alarm causes the Pressurization System to Run.
- Test the function of all Control Switches, Indicators and BMS Settings.
- Sign out of the building just after 5:00pm.
After our Visit
Produce a comprehensive written report, complete with photographs and
recommendations if any are needed. Issue a "Certificate of Conformity with the original Design
Standard" when the system is known to be satisfactory.
Cost of the above works was £1,387 + VAT. Invoice requesting 100% payment was sent seven days after the report was transmitted. Payment within 60 days of our Invoice date please.